Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Chickpea salad

In an effort to prove to my boyfriend that life without dairy and meat is not horrible and boring, I went hunting down new (easy) recipes to try, preferably with stuff I already had in the house, and found one for Faux Tuna Salad. I've never liked tuna but didn't figure it would be very tuna-ish and I already had a can of chickpeas, so I gave it a try.

I altered it, used real mayo, celery in addition to onion and no lemon juice, but it was still yummy! I just threw everything in to taste so next time I'll have to measure it out for future reference.

The chickpeas didn't blend very well, so I just mashed them up with a fork. The texture was like that Potted Meat (I can't believe I used to eat and enjoy something called Potted Meat Food Product.) But I'm not going to call it Fake Potted Meat Food Product Salad, so I'm going with Chickpea Salad instead.

I put it on some bread and topped it with fresh kale. The awesome thing is that when I took the first bite I decided Jason needed to try it. I went to the kitchen for a spoonful to offer him and when I came back he had his lips wrapped around my sandwich! He said it was good, guessed that it was supposed to be fake tuna salad. I just had it on some crackers as a post-work snack and that was good, too. So now I'm excited because as simple as this is, it's still one more thing to add to my list of Meals I Can Make.

I bought celery specifically for this and only used one stalk. I think tomorrow I may try to make Cream of Celery soup with the rest.

1 comment:

Misty said...

This sounds pretty tasty. I'll have to try this out!